News and Headlines

Actions

Dog saves owner's life in house fire

Posted at 12:54 PM, Nov 03, 2016

INDIANAPOLIS -- Romeo the dog has been credited with saving his human's life in a house fire that broke out Wednesday night.

The fire started around 10 p.m. on the 4500 block of Fletcher Avenue.

A 52-year-old man inside the house was smoking, and thought he flicked the cigarette out the window before falling asleep.

The cigarette instead lit the bedroom on fire, filling the room with smoke.

The pit bull mix, Romeo, woke him up and alerted him to the fire, giving him enough time to get out of the house.

Romeo and his owner were out before firefighters arrived. The man suffered minor injury from smoke inhalation, but was treated on-scene by medics.

There were no working smoke alarms. A family of 3 live in the house, but the man was the only one home at the time.