BOONE COUNTY, Ind. -- The man accused of killing a Boone County Sheriff's deputy earlier this year will face the death penalty.
Boone County Prosecutor Todd Meyer announced his decision Tuesday, saying the state has filed a request to seek the death penalty against Anthony Baumgardt, 21.
Baumgardt is accused of shooting and killing Deputy Jacob Pickett on March 2 after running from police.
“The men and women of law enforcement put their lives on the line each and every day to keep the citizens of Boone County safe and out of harm’s way," Prosecutor Meyer said during the press conference. "When someone takes the life of a police officer, by intentionally killing him/her, while he/she is acting in the line of duty, then that person should have to face the ultimate penalty, which, in the State of Indiana, is a sentence of death.”
Baumgardt was shot by another officer after he fired at Pickett, police say. He was treated at Methodist Hospital until he was released into police custody. He is currently being held without bond. His trial date is set for July 31, 2018.
"I believe filing for the death sentence is the right thing to do in this case and it is the right decision," said Prosecutor Meyer.
The initial hearing on the request for the death penalty is scheduled for Friday, April 27.
READ | Accused killer of Boone County sheriff's deputy sharing photos on social media from behind bars | Anthony Baumgardt: "No remorse" for what happened to Deputy Pickett, man he's accused of shooting | Father of deputy shooting suspect says it "was a monster" who shot Deputy Pickett| Court records detail Deputy Pickett suspects' criminal history