PERU, Ind. (AP) — An inmate at a northern Indiana prison convicted of slashing a correctional officer’s face with a razor blade has received a 38-year sentence for the attack.
The Kokomo Tribune reports that a Miami County judge sentenced Raul Sotelo on Wednesday in the attack at the Miami Correctional Facility.
Sotelo was already serving a life sentence for the 1973 murder of a 12-year-old Lake County girl.
A jury convicted Sotelo last month of attempted murder and other charges in the July 2020 prison attack with a homemade weapon that left Officer Mackenzie Malott with a deep, permanent 5-inch-long facial scar.
Latest Stories
-
New study shows 95 percent of insured Americans worry about medical bills
National Guard says first members of new military police force ready for deployment
Speedway businesses prepare for Indy 500
Dump truck driver dies after crash with car, semi on State Road 32 in Lebanon
A three-vehicle crash on Monday afternoon in Lebanon resulted in one fatality and injuries to other occupants, the Boone County city’s police department said in a news release issued Tuesday night.