Major Davis II pleads guilty to murder of IMPD officer

Posted at 8:18 AM, Apr 21, 2017
and last updated 2017-04-21 20:09:59-04

INDIANAPOLIS -- Major Davis II, the man accused of killing IMPD officer Perry Renn in July 2014, pleaded guilty Friday.

Previously, prosecutors said they would seek the death penalty if convicted. That is now off the table after a hearing Friday morning. He will receive life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Friday morning's hearing was before Judge Marc Rothenberg. A formal sentencing hearing is set for April 27. 

"Pursuant to this agreement, Major Davis II will spend the rest of his life in prison with no possibility of parole," Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said. "This resolution meets the wishes of Officer Renn’s widow, Lynn Renn, and provides finality on the criminal matter. By this plea, the family, friends, and witnesses impacted by this violent act will avoid what would likely have been years of courtroom proceedings for discovery, trial, and possible appeals."

On Friday, Lynn Renn released a statement on Davis:

This is the conclusion that I wanted and that Perry would have wanted. The plea provides finality and allows me and others deeply impacted to avoid the possibility of a lengthy trial and appeals process. Justice has been served. I hope that we can now focus our thoughts away from this criminal case and to the legacy and sacrifice of Perry.

I want to thank my family and dearest friends, my IMPD family, other survivors in the law enforcement community, FOP Lodge #86 and many others in the community for their continued support and encouragement. I want to thank Prosecutor Curry and his office for keeping me informed and consulting with me throughout this very complex and stressful process.

On July 5, 2014, Perry Renn and another officer responded to a report of shots fired near the intersection of 34th Street and Forest Manor Avenue. Perry Renn and the other officer encountered a man, later identified as Davis, before shots were fired. Perry Renn was hit by three rifle rounds fired by Davis. 

"Our officers responded to a report of shots fired, and someone saw fit to welcome us with an assault weapon," then-IMPD Chief Rick Hite said in 2014. "Major Davis has major issues, obviously. Where he got off track, we'll probably find out at a court date, but he had no right to take a fine officer's life."

FROM 2014 | Indianapolis police Officer Perry Renn killed in shootout with suspect | Man facing murder charge in Officer Perry Renn killing has extensive criminal history

Davis was pronounced dead after the shootout, but he was revived and underwent surgery.  

About seven months after Perry Renn's death, RTV6's Rafael Sanchez talked to Davis about his arrest and the case.

"I pray for Officer Renn and his family in light of their loss, but I was not the one who took his life," Davis said in January 2015. 

In February 2017, a judge ruled that he was competent to stand trial. 

PREVIOUS | Major Davis will stand trial for fatal shooting of IMPD Officer Perry Renn