Man arrested in connection with fatal baseball bat attack

Man dies after attack with baseball bat
Posted at 1:27 PM, May 03, 2018
and last updated 2018-05-04 17:04:31-04

INDIANAPOLIS -- One man has been arrested in connection with a fatal attack with a baseball bat on Indianapolis' west side. 

The incident happened at about 1 a.m. Wednesday morning, in the 2900 block of W. Walnut Street.

Witnesses to the incident told police an altercation occurred between two men, which led to one of them striking the other on the right side of his head with a baseball bat. They didn't know where the suspect got the bat from, according to a police narrative. 

One person told police they saw one man hit another with a bat. The victim died early Thursday morning at Eskenazi Hospital. He has been identified as Dennis Hendon, 56, Indianapolis. 

Hendon's family released a statement Friday which read, in part:

"A lot of things are taking place in our communities - some good, and some not so good. However, we believe that if everyone gave a little of themselves daily, the world would be a better place.  Dennis did that. He gave more than a little bit of himself daily, and it made us better; it made this family better, and it played (and plays) a role in making a community better. He was perfectly imperfect, but he changed lives, just by being himself - a true Good Samaritan"

The suspect, 22-year-old Dequarius Walker of Indianapolis, was arrested Friday and preliminarily charged with murder.

Anyone with information about this incident should call the IMPD Homicide Office at 317-327-3475 or Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana at 317-262-8477 or (TIPS).

MORE TOP STORIES | Arrest made in 2016 murder of Indianapolis woman | Dozens of Indianapolis area concerts discounted to just $20 for National Concert Week | Accused killer of Boone County sheriff's deputy sharing photos on social media from behind bars | If you're traveling to Michigan or Kentucky this summer, get your hepatitis vaccine first | Doctors detail numerous injuries to 18-month-old boy before his death, according to court docs

Top Trending Videos