Indianapolis News and Headlines


Firefighters use pet oxygen masks following Indianapolis house fire

Posted at 10:05 AM, Mar 08, 2017
and last updated 2017-03-08 14:36:04-05

INDIANAPOLIS -- All the humans are OK, but two dogs died and six cats are unaccounted for following a Wednesday morning house fire on Indianapolis' near-east side.

The fire broke out around 1 a.m., in the 300 block of N. Keystone Avenue. 

The people living in the house got out OK, taking four newborn kittens with them.

Two dogs, named Rico and Cheyenne, died in the fire.

Seven cats were rescued by firefighters, who used pet oxygen masks to help them. Their names are Noah, Curious, Evie, Lazy, Willie, Mama and Tiny. 

In 2015, the Indianapolis Fire Department received 35 pet oxygen masks. 

RELATED | Indianapolis Fire Department receives 35 pet oxygen masks

Six cats are still unaccounted for. 

The couple don't know what started the fire, but told firefighters they'd been having electrical issues. There were no working smoke detectors in the house.


Columbus firefighters rescue 18 pets from fire

Indy firefighters rescue dog from house fire

Tiny oxygen masks credited with big hamster rescue