INDIANAPOLIS — Funeral arrangements have been announced for fallen Indiana State Trooper Aaron Smith.
Loved ones, community members, Indiana State Troopers and other first responders will gather to memorialize and celebrate his life on Friday, July 7.
Smith will receive police and military honors as he served as both an Indiana State Trooper and a Sergeant in the Indiana National Guard.
There will be a visitation for Trooper Smith on Thursday, July 6 from 2 to 8 p.m. at Emmanuel Church Greenwood Campus, located at 1640 West Stones Crossing Road.
The funeral will also be held at Emmanuel Church Greenwood Campus at 11 a.m. on Friday.
Following the funeral, a police procession will escort Trooper Smith to Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis, where Smith will be buried.
The procession route is as follows:
- Start at Emmanuel Church of Greenwood, 1640 West Stones Crossing Road, Greenwood, IN
- Exit church lot and turn right or west on to West Stones Crossing Road to S.R. 135.
- Turn left or south on S.R. 135 to Whiteland Road.
- Turn left or east on Whiteland Road to U.S 31
- Turn left or north on U.S. 31 where they will pass by Whiteland High School and pass under the Garrison Flag. They will then continue north into Greenwood then make a small right on to S. Madison Ave.
- Continue north on S Madison Ave to roundabout, first exit east, Smith Valley Rd. Continue east on Smith Valley Road where they pass by the neighborhood where Trooper Smith grew up.
- Continue east on Smith Valley Rd which turns into northbound S Emerson Ave.
- Continue north on S Emerson Ave where they pass by Greenwood Airport to the left, to Stop 11 Rd.
- Turn left or west on to Stop 11 Road which turns into E Meridian School Rd at East St. Continue west to S.R. 135.
- Turn right or north on S.R 135 to Hanna Ave. Southbound State Road 135 at Hanna Ave will be blocked to allow motorcycles doing escort to use S/B lane of traffic to get back to the front of the procession.
- Turn left or west on Hanna Ave to Bluff Rd
- Turn right or north on Bluff Road to where it turns into West St.
- Continue north on West St where they pass IFD Station 13 at West St and Ohio St. Continue north on West St to New York St.
- Turn right or east on New York St to Illinois St.
- Turn left or north on Illinois St to 34th St.
- Turn left or west on 34th St to entrance to Crown Hill Cemetery. Officers will line up here where the procession will stop before entering
Community members are encouraged to participate to honor the service and sacrifice of Trooper Smith.