NewsLocal NewsIndianapolis

Actions

Indiana mom warns other parents after toddler accidentally swallows battery

Screenshot 2020-10-29 161918.png
Posted at 4:22 PM, Oct 29, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-29 16:22:48-04

INDIANAPOLIS — A mother is warning other parents after her kid accidentally swallowed a button battery and had to have it surgically removed.

Ta'Sha Garrett told Good Morning America Mahziere, 1, had to have the button surgically removed in September at IU Health Riley Hospital for Children. Doctors said he likely swallowed it two weeks before.

"I knew the severity of swallowing batteries," Garrett told Good Morning America. "I didn't think that would happen to us. I'm really careful when it comes to things like that."

Everything seemed to be fine, he was eating, sleeping, playing, and laughing. One day, she picked his brother up from school and noticed he was lethargic.

When she heard him whimpering and saw bubbles coming out of his mouth, Garrett and his grandmother took him to this hospital.

Dr. Fred Rescorla later removed the lithium battery from the bottom of Mahziere's throat.

"His mother, she's a great mom," Rescorla told Good Morning America. "She knew right away something was wrong. I was a little apprehensive when I went up to see her. When I approached her, she just wept. She never left his bedside."

battery.png
This battery had to be surgically removed from Mahziere, 1, at IU Health Riley Hospital for Children.

Garrett is sharing her story to warn other parents.

"They move really fast. Even if you think you're watching them, you have to be mindful that kids move quicker than you," Garrett said. "If a lot of times people are watching your kids or your kids are going places, warn others what your child is capable of and getting into. Let them know your child is Curious George."

You can read the full story here.