MADISON COUNTY, Ind. -- A Madison County mother has been charged after her 1-year-old daughter overdosed on a painkiller in August.
The mother, Janelle Norman, told police she was outside her apartment in the 600 block of E. Jackson Street when her daughter came up to her with a partially dissolved orange pill in her mouth. Norman said she removed the pill and put it in a bag, according to a probable cause document.
Shortly after the pill was removed, the 1-year-old became lethargic and her eyes rolled into the back of her head. Norman brought her to the St. Vincent emergency room at about 9 p.m.
While in the emergency room, the girl's respiration dropped to about nine breaths per minute. A normal rate for a 1-year-old is about 25 per minute. The girl was then given two doses of Narcan.
When police questioned her, Norman denied having Suboxone, or any other orange-colored pills, in her apartment. Her story was contradicted by her neighbor and her other daughter, who is 6 years old.
Neighbors told police the children will occasionally eat from the dumpster because they are not taken care of. but Norman said they do that because they are kids and don't know better.
Norman has been charged with neglect of a dependent resulting in serious injury.