INDIANAPOLIS — A homeless camp on the south side of Indianapolis is now gone.
Remnants of the camp, formerly located near Interstate-65 and Raymond Street, were removed Wednesday upon orders from the Indiana Department of Transportation.
Many people were living there until recently.
MORE | Point-in-Time homeless count happening all week
At the beginning of January, INDOT posted a notice that stated people needed to leave the area and remove their belongings.
And on Wednesday, all the items left there were cleared away.
Concerned resident Ron Rodgers told WRTV the city and state should be doing more to help its homeless populations.
MORE | Bill banning transgender girls from playing school sports in Indiana passes Senate committee
"I'd like to see people get housing and get jobs and valuable transportation that they need so they can keep their jobs," Rodgers said. "This is not a long-term solution; it's a short-term solution causing many more problems."
Rodgers also said people experiencing homelessness also need access to healthcare, noting some at another camp needed to be taken to a hospital because they had not seen a doctor.
As for the people who had been living at this homeless camp, IMPD says its homeless outreach unit has provided services and resources to those residents.
-
100 Black Men of Indianapolis program guides Indianapolis youth toward success
The 100 Black Men of Indianapolis brings together volunteers from diverse professional backgrounds to serve as role models for boys and girls throughout the city.
Walmart kicks off Who-Knew-Ville Campaign, delivers gifts to Southport residents
Walmart in Greenwood kicked off the company’s Who-Knew-Ville holiday campaign by quietly dropping off gifts in a nearby neighborhood early Tuesday morning.
Man dies in hospital from shooting on east side of Indianapolis
Indianapolis Metropolitan Police officers are investigating a shooting on the city's east side that left one person in critical condition on Wednesday.
IU fraternities in 'good standing' cleared to resume social events December 1
Indiana University announced that fraternities in "good standing and not under investigation" will be allowed to resume all activities, including social events, beginning December 1.