Train carrying four Indiana lawmakers crashes into truck on way to W. Va.

One in truck killed, according to White House
Posted at 12:10 PM, Jan 31, 2018
and last updated 2018-01-31 18:59:56-05

A train carrying members of Congress, including four from Indiana, to their legislative retreat in West Virginia hit a truck Wednesday.

Rep. Jim Banks, Rep. Larry Bucshon, Rep. Susan Brooks, and Sen. Todd Young, all of Indiana, were on the train. 

Banks, Young, and Brooks tweeted shortly after the crash, all saying they are OK. 

Senator Young spoke with RTV6 shortly after the crash and described the frightening situation.

"I was thrown off balance, not thrown to the ground, but some were," said Young. "Within a fairly short period of time - a couple minutes - people looked out the window and saw a truck out there which we believed was a garbage truck... it was a horrible accident."

Rachel Bade, a Politico reporter, said Buschon was seen helping injured people at the scene. Bucshon is a former heart surgeon. 

One person in the truck was killed, according to the White House.

Rep. Jason Lewis (R-Minn.) was taken to the hospital for a possible concussion.

One GOP source was unsure how many members of Congress were on the train or how many people were injured, but said there were injuries. 

That source said members "hit the deck."

Republican members of Congress were on their way for a retreat at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, starting Wednesday and ending Friday. Vice President Mike Pence, who was not on the train, is scheduled to speak to members later Wednesday and President Donald Trump is scheduled to address the event tomorrow.

Pence released the following statement about the crash: 

The train left from Union Station in Washington earlier Wednesday.

MORE TOP STORIES |  Deaths of couple found dead, locked in embrace in Madison County field, ruled murder-suicide | IMPD gang unit arrests four on firearm, drug charges | Indiana mom admits to putting hand over 2-year-old son's mouth for 45 minutes, court records show | Plainfield woman, 37, dies just three days after being diagnosed with the flu | Police say they'd have fewer calls to McDonald's in downtown Indy if lobby was locked overnight