UPDATE: A spokesperson for the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department on Tuesday said a 19-year-old man and an 18-year-old man have been arrested in connection with the incident.
INDIANAPOLIS — A police officer fired shots during a gunfight between two men at an intersection Thursday afternoon on the northeast side of Indianapolis, according to police.
Around 1 p.m. an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officer was near 30th Street and Shadeland Avenue when two men got out of their cars and began shooting at each other, IMPD Deputy Chief Chris Bailey said.
The officer, who was not in a police uniform and in an unmarked police car, returned fire, Bailey said. It's not clear at this time if either man fired shots at the officer. The officer's identity hasn't been released.
A short time later, officers were notified of a person shot on East 34th Street and another who arrived at Community Hospital East, Bailey said. One man is in critical but stable condition and the other is stable.
Detectives believe their injuries were connected to the shooting, but are working to confirm the details. It's unknown if the officer shot either of the men.
Because the officer was not in a police uniform or marked car, there is no body camera or dash camera footage of the shooting, Bailey said. Detectives are working on getting video of the incident from nearby businesses.
The officer is on administrative leave, which is a standard procedure in all police action shootings, Bailey said.
No officers were injured, IMPD Officer William Young said in an email.
There are at least three different scenes connected to the incident. A weapon was recovered from at least one of the scenes, Bailey said.
Detectives from IMPD's Critical Incident Response Team and Internal Affairs are at the scenes investigating, Bailey said. The Marion County Prosecutor's Office is also at the scene.
There is no ongoing threat or danger to the community, Bailey said.
On Friday, IMPD released the following summary of events, photos, and information:
Summary of Officer-Involved Incident
- On January 28, 2021 at approximately 12:58 p.m., an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) officer was in an unmarked police vehicle stopped at an intersection facing southbound in the 3000 block of N. Shadeland Ave (location #1). Based upon forensic evidence and witness statements, investigators believe multiple individuals in the intersection were discharging firearms in the direction of other people. The officer fired his weapon at one of the individuals (person #1) who was armed with a rifle. The occupants of multiple vehicles involved fled the scene. Photo #1 is from this location.
- The officer was not in uniform and was in an unmarked vehicle. The officer followed one of the vehicles until he lost sight of the vehicle in the area of E. 30th St and N. Routiers Avenue, at which point the officer stopped.
- At 1:01 p.m. IMPD officers were dispatched to the 6600 block of E. 34th Street (location #2) on a report of a person shot. Officers located a vehicle on fire (photo #2) at that location and a 44-year-old male (person #2) who had apparent gunshot wounds and another occupant of the vehicle who was not injured (person #3). Officers recovered a firearm at this location.
- IEMS arrived and transported person #2 to Eskenazi Hospital in critical condition. Person #2 is currently in stable condition.
- At 1:13 p.m. IMPD officers were dispatched to Community East Hospital (location #3) at 1500 N. Ritter Avenue on a walk-in person shot. Investigators later determined this individual to be Person #1, a 19-year-old male. Community East Hospital security detained another individual (person #4) who was with person #1 and one of the trucks believed to be involved in the incident at location #1. Two firearms were recovered outside the emergency entrance. (photo #3)
- At approximately 1:17 p.m. person #1 was transported to Eskenazi Hospital. Person #1 is currently in stable condition.
- Another truck believed to be involved in the incident at location #1 was recovered unoccupied at 2600 Calbert Drive (location #4).
Additional Investigative Information
- Investigators believe the incident began at a separate location prior to arrival at location #1 and may have involved a disturbance regarding the sale of a vehicle. Investigators believe all locations are connected to the same incident.
- The IMPD Critical Incident Response Team responded to the scene to conduct the criminal investigation. The Marion County Prosecutor’s Office is engaged with the ongoing criminal investigation and will make a charging determination. A separate Internal Affairs investigation is also being conducted.
- The officer who fired his weapon is on administrative leave as is standard procedure in these incidents.
- It is unknown at this time if either of the persons shot were shot by the involved officer.
- Persons #1 and #4 were arrested for attempted robbery. Their names and booking photos are not available at this time for investigative purposes.
- The officer involved was not wearing a body camera as he was in plain clothes. This was consistent with department policies.
- Detectives continue to canvass the area for witnesses and other evidence. Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 317-262-TIPS.