INDIANAPOLIS — Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb has directed flags to be flown at half-staff to honor the victims of a shooting at an Independence Day parade in Highland Park, Ill.
Holcomb is asking businesses and residents across the state to lower their flags. It follows an order by President Joe Biden earlier Tuesday to fly flags on federal facilities at half-staff.
RELATED | 2 people killed at Fourth of July parade identified
Authorities say six people were killed and more than 30 were wounded when the suspected gunman shot more than 70 rounds into a crowd Monday.
Children are among the wounded, but no children have died.
Investigators believe the 21-year-old suspect planned the shooting for weeks and legally purchased the high-power rifled used to carry out the attack, ABC News reports.
RELATED | Doctors attending parade administered aid to mass shooting victims
Police said the suspect wore women's clothing during the shooting to allow him to hide his facial tattoos and blend in with the crowd to flee, according to ABC News.
No motive is known, police said.
-
Prosecutor seeks life without parole for suspect in Beech Grove Officer death
A man was formally charged Friday in connection with the fatal shooting of Beech Grove Officer Brian Elliott and the wounding of another officer during a domestic violence call earlier this week.
Noblesville family shares story of resilience for American Heart Month
Hannah was born with Hypoplastic left heart syndrome. After several surgeries and eventually a heart transplant, their kid was able to be a kid for the first time.
Man dies in hospital following shooting on Indianapolis' south side
Metro Police say a man is dead following a shooting on the south side of Indianapolis Thursday night.
Bloomington tornado preliminarily rated EF-2 by National Weather Service
Police are reporting extensive damage on the west side of Bloomington and are asking people to avoid the area following severe weather on Thursday night.