GARY – An Indiana State Police trooper was seriously injured when a suspected drunken driver crashed into his parked police vehicle on the interstate.
Shortly after midnight Wednesday, ISP Trooper Corey Adam was dispatched to a crash on I-80/94 at the 7.3 mile marker.
When he arrived at the scene, Adam parked his marked Dodge Charger behind the crashed vehicle, with his emergency lights on. Two other troopers arrived to the scene and parked their cars behind Adam’s, with about 15 flares in the road.
As they were investigating the crash, a 2004 Chevrolet SUV struck Adam’s vehicle, with Adam inside. The impact caused Adam’s vehicle to crash into the median, as well as the initial crashed vehicle.
The other two ISP troopers extricated Adam from his vehicle, as it was leaking gasoline. Adam was taken to Northlake Hospital in Gary for treatment. An investigation led police to believe the driver of the SUV was intoxicated.
The driver of the SUV faces the following preliminary charges:
- Operating While Intoxicated Causing Serious Bodily Injury- Level 5 Felony
- Operating While Intoxicated Endangering- Class A Misdemeanor
- Operating While Intoxicated – Class C Misdemeanor
- Resisting Law Enforcement- Class A Misdemeanor
- Reckless Driving- Class B Misdemeanor