INDIANAPOLIS — A total of ten people have drowned in the past 12 days in Indiana. Several of those drownings have happened
while people were swimming in central Indiana.
Accidents on rivers and lakes can happen when your swimming or boating, which is why it's important to have a plan and be prepared before you even head out to local waterways.
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind before heading out to local waterways:
- Know what hazards you might encounter while out on the water.
- If kayaking or tubing, make sure you have proper protective equipment. Wearing PFD's, or lifejackets, is critical.
- When swimming, make sure you are competent in a natural environment. It's not the same as your backyard pool.
- Keep an eye out for currents, waves, and underwater obstructions.
- Limit your alcohol consumption.