Indianapolis News and HeadlinesIndianapolis Local NewsIndianapolis Crime News


2 face charges after Thursday morning police standoff on northeast side

Building where shots fired from may be meth lab, cops say
Police officers are gathered around a swat truck near 34th and Arlington Avenue in Indianapolis.
Posted at 4:16 AM, Sep 15, 2022
and last updated 2022-09-16 12:43:23-04

INDIANAPOLIS — Police detained four people during a standoff early Thursday on the city's northeast side that started when shots were fired at officers from a building and a person inside barricaded themselves.

It all started around midnight Thursday near East 34th Street and North Arlington Avenue as officers were investigating a shooting from Wednesday, according to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.

That shooting from the day before happened at 21st Street and Arlington Avenue. Through an investigation, police learned of possible evidence in the 6000 block of Massachusetts Avenue and were attempting to serve a warrant at that address.

There, shots were fired from a building as police were headed toward it, but no officers were hit. A person then barricaded themselves inside.

Police then established a perimeter and requested the assistance of several other agencies. A SWAT team was called to the scene.

IMPD Lt. Shane Foley said there were several people inside the building in addition to the barricaded person.

At some point during the encounter, a man exited the building and was detained.

Then, about 6:30 a.m., officers saw several people lying on the floor inside. Officers then entered the building to find two other men and a woman. One of the men and a woman left on their own while another man was carried out of the building by officers.

All three of those people were detained by police. The man carried out of the building was taken to a local hospital to be evaluated.

Foley described the three detained men as persons of interest but said the woman's involvement is still unclear.

As of 7:30 a.m., officers were investigating whether the building may have been used as a meth lab after the smell of possible methamphetamine was noticed.

According to IMPD, officers identified fentanyl contamination inside the building. There was also diesel fuel and other legal chemicals in the building. The building was being processed for forensic evidence.

Police later said four firearms and several shell casings were seized from inside the business.

Indiana State Police were called to the scene to assist in the investigation.
No officers or civilians were injured during the encounter and officers never fired their weapons, according to IMPD.

"Detectives are confident the person or persons responsible for shooting at officers are in custody and there is no ongoing threat to the community," IMPD said in an email.

During the standoff, police urged members of the public to avoid the stretch of North Arlington Avenue between 33rd and 38th streets. This also includes the intersection of 34th Street and Massachusetts Avenue.

At 8:30 a.m., IMPD tweeted that all roads in the area except for North Arlington Avenue at 34th Street had reopened.

Two men face charges stemming from the incident. A 29-year-old man faces a charge of attempted murder. A 28-year-old man was arrested on a warrant for possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon.

Police asked that anyone with more information contact IMPD Sgt. Scott Stauffer at 317-327-3475 or Tips can also be submitted to Crime Stoppers at 317-262-8477 (TIPS).