BLOOMINGTON — A Batchelor Middle School student was arrested early Tuesday on suspicion of bringing a loaded gun with him onto a school bus, police say.
The boy, 13, was placed in the custody of the Monroe County Sheriff's Office and is now facing a possible felony charge, according to Monroe County Sheriff Brad Swain.
School resource officers confiscated the 9mm handgun from the boy before deputies arrived, Swain said. He never brought the weapon into a school building.
The boy was on the bus when he removed the gun from his backpack and showed it to other people. Around that time, a parent was notified and called the school to make a report, according to Swain.
Deputies were dispatched about 10 a.m. to the 900 block West Gordon Pike. Once they arrived, the confiscated weapon was turned over to the sheriff's office and the boy was taken into custody.
Swain said the boy's family members had been interviewed. He will likely be charged as a juvenile with felony possession of a firearm on school property or a school bus.
Swain said he was unsure whether any schools were placed on lockdown as a result of the incident.
WRTV has reached out to officials with Monroe County Community School Corporation. We have yet to hear back.
-
Indiana 4-H Day at the Statehouse gives students a glimpse of Indiana government
Tuesday was Indiana 4-H Day at the Statehouse. It wasn't a day to support any specific bills, but rather a chance for 4-H members to get an inside look at Indiana government.
Martindale-Brightwood residents continue to push against proposed data center
Residents and community leaders in the Martindale-Brightwood neighborhood remain vigilant in their opposition to a proposed data center that could be built on vacant land near Sherman Drive.
State legislation could undo Fishers & Carmel 10% rental cap
Fishers and Carmel residents are watching closely as new state legislation could overturn local rental property regulations passed just last year.
Direct primary care healthcare model gains ground in Indianapolis
A new model for meeting with your doctor is spreading across Indianapolis, allowing patients to meet with their physicians directly and as many times as needed, with no insurance involved.