OWEN COUNTY — The owner of SuPaca Farms in Gosport has pleaded not guilty to charges after 28 dead alpacas were found on the property earlier this year.
Sue Childers, 77, of Indianapolis faces charges of cruelty to an animal and failure to properly dispose of a dead animal.
According to an affidavit, a necropsy found that one of the alpacas named Harriet was emaciated.
Deputies say other animals were in poor health and severely malnourished. Seven alpacas, three llamas, nine dogs, three chickens, and two horses were seized from the property and taken to the Owen County Humane Society.
The affidavit says Childers told investigators she thought bobcats were killing and eating her alpacas but later thought they were poisoned.
"Sue advised that at some point during the summer/fall of 2021 she lost of large number other heard. She believed them to have been poisoned and stated that she came to that conclusion because the alpacas had died in a large group together," the affidavit read.
Childers also said that she stopped visiting the farm daily in February 2021 after getting COVID-19. She didn't start visiting again on a regular basis until the fall of 2021.
Childers is out on bond and she has pleaded not guilty, online court records show. A jury trial is scheduled for June 7.
-
Brownsburg declares February "Go Pink Month" in honor of Hailey Buzbee
The Brownsburg Police Department posted on social media on Tuesday that the Town Council officially approved the motion to honor Buzbee, her family and anyone affected by the tragedy.
Silver Alert issued for missing 61-year-old from Anders
If you have any information on Lisa Benitez, contact the Anderson Police Department at 765-648-6775 or 911.
PHOTOS: K9 Kissing Booth at the Boys & Girls Club of Indianapolis
Pucker up! Officer Grace and Officer Allie, IMPD's certified therapy dogs, were the stars of a special Valentine's Day K9 Kissing Booth at the Boys & Girls Club of Indianapolis. The event was a chance for local youth to meet the officers of IMPD to build trust and community.
Federal charges filed against suspect in Hailey Buzbee case
Federal prosecutors have filed criminal charges against Tyler Thomas, the 39-year-old man accused in the disappearance of 17-year-old Hailey Buzbee.