TIPPECANOE COUNTY — Three years after the case was opened, a Tippecanoe County jury found a man not guilty on four neglect charges in connection to his adopted daughter.
Michael Barnett was acquitted of neglect of a dependent, neglect of a dependent resulting in bodily injury, neglect of a dependent resulting in serious bodily injury and conspiracy to commit neglect of a dependent.
Michael Barnett and his now ex-wife Kristine Barnett were both charged in September 2019 with multiple counts of neglect related to their adopted daughter Natalia, who came to the U.S. from Ukraine in 2010.
In 2012, the Barnetts, who have other children and are now divorced, had Natalia's age changed in Marion County Probate Court from her real age of eight to 22 and told the girl to say she was 22 if anyone asked.
Court documents claim the pair rented an apartment for Natalia in Lafayette in 2013 and left her there, alone, while they moved out of the country with the rest of the family.
Michael told detectives that his wife had told the child to tell others that she "looks young" but was actually 22, according to court documents,
In February 2022, four counts of neglect of a dependent were dismissed against Michael, online court records show.
The jury trial began on Oct. 24 after several delays.
PREVIOUS | Father claims adopted daughter was really an adult with dwarfism who tried to kill his family
WRTV's Rafael Sanchez spoke to Michael Barnett in October 2019.
Kristine's trial is scheduled to begin in February 2023, online court records show.
PREVIOUS: Attorney: Man accused of abandoning girl from Ukraine says adoption was a fraud | Indiana couple accused of abandoning adopted daughter and moving to Canada | Couple accused of abandoning young girl turn themselves in
-
Federal charges filed against suspect in Hailey Buzbee case
Federal prosecutors have filed criminal charges against Tyler Thomas, the 39-year-old man accused in the disappearance of 17-year-old Hailey Buzbee.
Indianapolis International Airport sets passenger record with 10.6M travelers
Indianapolis International Airport set a new passenger record in 2025, with fresh travel numbers released showing 10.6 million travelers passed through the airport last year.
IU plans for a bronze statue of former coach Bob Knight in Assembly Hall lobby
Indiana plans to build a bronze statue of longtime coach Bob Knight inside Assembly Hall, where he led the Hoosiers to national championships in 1976, 1981 and 1987.
Indiana plans for a bronze statue of former coach Bob Knight
Indiana plans to build a bronze statue of longtime basketball coach Bob Knight inside Assembly Hall, where he led the Hoosiers to national championships in 1976, 1981 and 1987.