INDIANAPOLIS— Steve Postma of Zionsville was skeptical when he received a phone call from someone named “Sgt. Johnson” from the Marion County Sheriff’s Office.
The caller said Postma failed to show up for jury duty and a warrant would be issued for his arrest if he didn’t pay at least 10% of a $10,000 fine.
“I said ‘I’m not in Marion County’, and he said ‘I know you’re in Boone County and we’re working with them to clean it up,’” Postma said.

Postma asked local law enforcement about the call, who told him it was a scam.
He didn’t give them any money but wants to share his story so that others don’t fall victim.
“It scared me,” Postma said. “I just told them to come and arrest me because I don’t have $10,000.”
The Marion County Sheriff’s Office issued a warning last week that they’ve noticed a substantial increase in the number of phone scams where the caller claims to be a law enforcement officer and demands money.
“If a caller insists on being paid—especially in cash, gift cards or digital currency like Bitcoin- it is certainly a shakedown,” according to the sheriff’s office. “People receiving a call should simply hang up.”
You can also check for criminal warrants at mycase.in.gov or contact contact.mcso@indy.gov if you’re concerned about the validity of a scam call.
-
How IndyCar drivers are feeling after final day of Indy 500 practice
IndyCar drivers practiced at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the final time before Sunday’s 110th running of the Indianapolis 500.
Caitlin Clark is available for Fever’s game vs. Valkyries
Indiana Fever announced that Caitlin Clark (back) is available for Friday’s game against the Golden State Valkyries. Clark missed Wednesday’s game against the Portland Fire due to the back injury.
Indianapolis Sheraton City Centre to renovate, rebrand as Renaissance hotel
The Keystone Group has acquired the 21-story Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel near Monument Circle in preparation to update the hotel.
Richard Childress Racing suspends use of Kyle Busch's No. 8 car
Richard Childress Racing is suspending the use of the No. 8 car in the NASCAR Cup Series following Kyle Busch's death.
