KOKOMO — Stellantis is investing $2.5 billion in an electric vehicle battery facility in Kokomo.
Stellantis, formed last year with the merger of Fiat Chrysler and France’s PSA Peugeot, and Samsung SDI, are partnering for the joint venture.
The plant in Kokomo will create about 1,400 jobs.

Construction on the plant is scheduled to begin in 2022 and operations are planned to launch in the first quarter of 2025.
Kokomo Mayor Tyler Moore says the announcement puts Kokomo and Indiana at the forefront of technology and automotive manufacturing.
"[I'm] beyond ecstatic. This is such an incredible opportunity not only for the state of Indiana but specifically Kokomo and our local workforce," Moore said.
The joint venture will gradually invest more than $2.5 billion to build the facility near the existing facility in Kokomo, but the investment could gradually increase to $3.1 billion.
The plant will is expected to initially achieve a production capacity of 23 gigawatt hours with an increase to 33 GWh in the years later.
In March it announced plans to spend $4.1 billion in a joint venture with LG Energy Solution of South Korea to build one of them in Windsor, Ontario. That plant will employ about 2,500 people.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
-
How IndyCar drivers are feeling after final day of Indy 500 practice
IndyCar drivers practiced at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the final time before Sunday’s 110th running of the Indianapolis 500.
Caitlin Clark is available for Fever’s game vs. Valkyries
Indiana Fever announced that Caitlin Clark (back) is available for Friday’s game against the Golden State Valkyries. Clark missed Wednesday’s game against the Portland Fire due to the back injury.
Indianapolis Sheraton City Centre to renovate, rebrand as Renaissance hotel
The Keystone Group has acquired the 21-story Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel near Monument Circle in preparation to update the hotel.
Richard Childress Racing suspends use of Kyle Busch's No. 8 car
Richard Childress Racing is suspending the use of the No. 8 car in the NASCAR Cup Series following Kyle Busch's death.