KOKOMO — Stellantis is investing $2.5 billion in an electric vehicle battery facility in Kokomo.
Stellantis, formed last year with the merger of Fiat Chrysler and France’s PSA Peugeot, and Samsung SDI, are partnering for the joint venture.
The plant in Kokomo will create about 1,400 jobs.

Construction on the plant is scheduled to begin in 2022 and operations are planned to launch in the first quarter of 2025.
Kokomo Mayor Tyler Moore says the announcement puts Kokomo and Indiana at the forefront of technology and automotive manufacturing.
"[I'm] beyond ecstatic. This is such an incredible opportunity not only for the state of Indiana but specifically Kokomo and our local workforce," Moore said.
The joint venture will gradually invest more than $2.5 billion to build the facility near the existing facility in Kokomo, but the investment could gradually increase to $3.1 billion.
The plant will is expected to initially achieve a production capacity of 23 gigawatt hours with an increase to 33 GWh in the years later.
In March it announced plans to spend $4.1 billion in a joint venture with LG Energy Solution of South Korea to build one of them in Windsor, Ontario. That plant will employ about 2,500 people.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
-
IMPD urges parents to know kids’ whereabouts after 17-year-old fatally shot
From deadly shootings to a string of overnight crimes, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department reports both cases raise the same question: Do parents know where their kids are?IMS Museum staff puts on finishing touches for historic car lap
Eleven cars will take part in the historic car lap ahead of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday morning. Nine of them are race-winning cars.
Indiana AG investigates fuel retailers accused of price gouging
More than 170 consumer complaints for gas price gouging, along with the state’s own monitoring, have led to more than 30 formal investigations and 100 additional inquiries into Indiana retailers.
Indianapolis Motor Speedway honors Kyle Busch
Indianapolis Motor Speedway honored NASCAR icon Kyle Busch, who died at 41-years-old on Thursday. Busch won the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 2015 and 2016.