INDIANAPOLIS — Staff and patients at IU Health Methodist Hospital will continue to get help from a U.S. Navy team for the next month.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, approved a 30 day extension of the 20 person team's deployment last week.
"As COVID-19 cases continue to increase and hospitalization of COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 patients progress to all-time highs, Indiana University Health is pursuing and leveraging all available resources to support patient care and its team members," IU Health said in a statement to WRTV. "IU Health is grateful for this support in this effort to care for the people of Indiana."
The team is made of physicians, nurses and respiratory professionals who are working in medical units and the emergency department at the hospital. They arrived just before Christmas on Dec. 22.
On Tuesday, an IU Health spokesperson told WRTV there are 638 confirmed COVID-19 cases system-wide. At Methodist, the hospital is treating 177 people with the virus.
Last week, WRTV talked to some team members about their experience treating COVID-19 patients. You can hear their stories here.
BREAKING: IU Health tells me a 30-day extension of the 20-person U.S. Navy team currently deployed at Methodist was approved by FEMA last week.
— Nikki DeMentri (@nikkidementri) January 18, 2022
Full statement below. @wrtv pic.twitter.com/pVKj8lfroW
-
Indiana Fever waive guard Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
The Indiana Fever have waived guard Shatori Walker-Kimbrough from the roster, the team announced. Walker-Kimbrough appeared in just two games this season and played a total of six minutes.
Caitlin Clark listed as probable for Friday’s game against Valkyries
Fever star guard Caitlin Clark is listed as probable with a back injury for Friday’s game against the Golden State Valkyries.
Alexander Rossi cleared to race in Sunday’s Indy 500
Rossi was part of a crash during Monday’s practice session. He walked away from the incident, but “underwent successful outpatient procedures” on Monday evening.
NASCAR legend Kyle Busch dies at 41
On behalf of the Busch family, everyone at Richard Childress Racing and all of NASCAR, we are devastated to announce the sudden and tragic passing of Kyle Busch.