INDIANAPOLIS — Staff and patients at IU Health Methodist Hospital will continue to get help from a U.S. Navy team for the next month.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, approved a 30 day extension of the 20 person team's deployment last week.
"As COVID-19 cases continue to increase and hospitalization of COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 patients progress to all-time highs, Indiana University Health is pursuing and leveraging all available resources to support patient care and its team members," IU Health said in a statement to WRTV. "IU Health is grateful for this support in this effort to care for the people of Indiana."
The team is made of physicians, nurses and respiratory professionals who are working in medical units and the emergency department at the hospital. They arrived just before Christmas on Dec. 22.
On Tuesday, an IU Health spokesperson told WRTV there are 638 confirmed COVID-19 cases system-wide. At Methodist, the hospital is treating 177 people with the virus.
Last week, WRTV talked to some team members about their experience treating COVID-19 patients. You can hear their stories here.
BREAKING: IU Health tells me a 30-day extension of the 20-person U.S. Navy team currently deployed at Methodist was approved by FEMA last week.
— Nikki DeMentri (@nikkidementri) January 18, 2022
Full statement below. @wrtv pic.twitter.com/pVKj8lfroW
-
Storms return on Friday, some rain possible for Memorial Day weekend
After a near-perfect Thursday, more active weather is on the way for the back half of Friday. Partly cloudy skies turn mostly cloudy. Low temperatures in the low to mid-50s.
IMPD: Delivery driver shot during 'possible carjacking' on Indy's north side
A delivery driver was reported to be in stable condition after he was shot during what police said was an attempted carjacking.
Caio Collet & Jack Harvey react to having Indy 500 starting positions moved back
Drivers Caio Collet and Jack Harvey received post-qualifying penalties. Both drivers' starting positions are moved to the back of the field.
Indiana ranks 8th worst for scam calls and texts but overall volume is dropping
Indiana ranks 8th worst in the country for scam calls and texts, according to a new study. But data shows overall volume is dropping.