INDIANAPOLIS — Staff and patients at IU Health Methodist Hospital will continue to get help from a U.S. Navy team for the next month.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, approved a 30 day extension of the 20 person team's deployment last week.
"As COVID-19 cases continue to increase and hospitalization of COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 patients progress to all-time highs, Indiana University Health is pursuing and leveraging all available resources to support patient care and its team members," IU Health said in a statement to WRTV. "IU Health is grateful for this support in this effort to care for the people of Indiana."
The team is made of physicians, nurses and respiratory professionals who are working in medical units and the emergency department at the hospital. They arrived just before Christmas on Dec. 22.
On Tuesday, an IU Health spokesperson told WRTV there are 638 confirmed COVID-19 cases system-wide. At Methodist, the hospital is treating 177 people with the virus.
Last week, WRTV talked to some team members about their experience treating COVID-19 patients. You can hear their stories here.
BREAKING: IU Health tells me a 30-day extension of the 20-person U.S. Navy team currently deployed at Methodist was approved by FEMA last week.
— Nikki DeMentri (@nikkidementri) January 18, 2022
Full statement below. @wrtv pic.twitter.com/pVKj8lfroW
-
Robot security dog to provide extra layer of security at Indianapolis 500
A tech startup co-founder on Wednesday said his company’s robotic security dog adds another layer to security at the world’s largest single-day sporting event.
IU’s Curt Cignetti getting ready to drive pace car at Indy 500
Indiana University football head coach Curt Cignetti has had a memorable year already. In January, he coached the Hoosiers to their first national championship in program history.
Drier Thursday, rainy and storm chances return for Friday
More comfortable air has arrived. Clouds will linger tonight before a nice day on Thursday. Rain from the daytime hours finally exits.
Four families file civil lawsuits against former Brownsburg daycare & employees
Four families have filed new lawsuits against a former Brownsburg daycare and some of its employees, alleging they failed to protect young children from sexual abuse.