INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana Senate has endorsed a bill allowing administrative steps sought by Gov. Eric Holcomb that could result in the nearly two-year-old statewide COVID-19 public health emergency declaration ending later this week.
Senators voted 32-18 on Tuesday in favor of the proposal that doesn't include provisions pushed by Republican House members that would force businesses to give requested religious exemptions from COVID-19 vaccine requirements "without further inquiry."
Holcomb and Senate GOP leaders have sided with major business groups opposing the broad limitations backed by House members as wrongly interfering in business decisions.
The Senate version would require businesses to grant medical vaccine exemptions to workers along with religious exemptions as required by federal law and mandate that employers accept as a vaccine exemption a worker's medical test results showing some level of "natural immunity" through a previous infection. Employees could be required to undergo COVID-19 tests up to twice a week.
The actions sought by Holcomb would allow the state to keep receiving enhanced federal funding for Medicaid and food assistance programs.
The House and Senate must still agree on a single version of the proposal before it could go to Holcomb for his consideration.
Republican House Speaker Todd Huston, however, said last week that "you can count on it" when asked whether lawmakers would approve a bill addressing the emergency declaration before the current order's Friday expiration.
-
Storms return on Friday, some rain possible for Memorial Day weekend
After a near-perfect Thursday, more active weather is on the way for the back half of Friday. Partly cloudy skies turn mostly cloudy. Low temperatures in the low to mid-50s.
IMPD: Delivery driver shot during 'possible carjacking' on Indy's north side
A delivery driver was reported to be in stable condition after he was shot during what police said was an attempted carjacking.
Caio Collet & Jack Harvey react to having Indy 500 starting positions moved back
Drivers Caio Collet and Jack Harvey received post-qualifying penalties. Both drivers' starting positions are moved to the back of the field.
Indiana ranks 8th worst for scam calls and texts but overall volume is dropping
Indiana ranks 8th worst in the country for scam calls and texts, according to a new study. But data shows overall volume is dropping.