INDIANAPOLIS — There's a renewed push to get more citizens to consider a career in law enforcement.
The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department's second annual Join IMPD Week runs from June 6-10. The week features events highlighting the department's recruitment process with a goal of educating the community about the department and hiring process.
As of June 1, IMPD says the department is short about 200 officers.
"Come and talk to us, let us run you through what's expected, the kind of training we're going to give you and let's see if that fits," IMPD Chief Randal Taylor said. "For some it may not fit, but I think for a lot of people, the majority of them, I think they're going to realize this is exactly what they're looking for."
Officers earn over $75,000 after 24 months, get paid during the academy, receive overtime pay, health insurance, a pension plan and college incentive pay. IMPD is recruiting now for its 26th Recruit Class, which will begin in March 2023.
New officers will receive a $5,000 bonus for joining the department. The first payment is made when the recruit graduates the academy, and the second is done after successful completion of their probationary year.
Current officers or professional staff employees who refer a new recruit will receive $2,500. The first payment of $1,250 is when the new recruit starts the academy and the second $1,250 payment is paid when the recruit graduates the academy.
"It's a tough job, I'll admit [that] but really in reality and in life, the things that are worth the most are the things that are tougher, the things you have to work for," Taylor said. "We're open to finding those people who will step out on that."
All events are open to the public and include:
Monday, June 6
- Coffee with a Recruiter from 12-3 p.m. at the Starbucks at 71st and Binford, 6920 Lake Plaza Drive
- City County Council will recognize Join IMPD Week during its meeting at 7 p.m. in the Public Assembly Room.
Tuesday, June 7
- Deputy Mayor Thomas and Chief Taylor to speak at the IMPD PAR ( Pre-Academy Readiness) at the IMPD Training Academy, located at 901 N. Post Road. The event is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday, June 8
IMPD will hold "Tea with a Recruiter" from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. at Tea’s Me Café, 3967 N. Illinois St.
Thursday, June 9
- “Start your adventure with IMPD” at the Indianapolis Zoo under the Pavilion from 12-4 p.m.
Friday, June 10
- The IMPD Recruiting Unit will be volunteering at the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics at Victory Field from 7:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- IMPD will also attend the Westside Chamber of Commerce Job Fair from 10-2 p.m. at the Pike Freshman Center, 6801 Zionsville Road.
- At dusk, Monument Circle will be lit blue for IMPD
Click here for more information on becoming a police officer with IMPD.