BLOOMINGTON — A Batchelor Middle School student was arrested early Tuesday on suspicion of bringing a loaded gun with him onto a school bus, police say.
The boy, 13, was placed in the custody of the Monroe County Sheriff's Office and is now facing a possible felony charge, according to Monroe County Sheriff Brad Swain.
School resource officers confiscated the 9mm handgun from the boy before deputies arrived, Swain said. He never brought the weapon into a school building.
The boy was on the bus when he removed the gun from his backpack and showed it to other people. Around that time, a parent was notified and called the school to make a report, according to Swain.
Deputies were dispatched about 10 a.m. to the 900 block West Gordon Pike. Once they arrived, the confiscated weapon was turned over to the sheriff's office and the boy was taken into custody.
Swain said the boy's family members had been interviewed. He will likely be charged as a juvenile with felony possession of a firearm on school property or a school bus.
Swain said he was unsure whether any schools were placed on lockdown as a result of the incident.
WRTV has reached out to officials with Monroe County Community School Corporation. We have yet to hear back.
-
New Teachers' Treasures location to open on campus of North Central H.S.
A new Teachers' Treasures location will open on the campus of North Central High School in April, providing educators with access to free classroom supplies without spending their own money.
Ice jams and muddy fields: The impact of melting ice and snow in Indiana
A lot of snow and ice has melted across Central Indiana this week. Beyond the impact of feeling more like spring, this melting has impacts on Indiana waterways and farm fields.
Man allegedly caught twice on the same day stealing catalytic converters
A man was caught red-handed stealing catalytic converters from cars in an east Indianapolis lot, and police say he came back for more on the same day.
Carmel leaders planning $1.5 million transformation to Rangeline Road
Carmel is investing $1.5 million to redesign what they call a problematic and underutilized bike lane along Rangeline Road after pedestrian safety concerns.