INDIANAPOLIS — Hundreds of people started the process of having their criminal records cleared at the Re-entry Steps to Expungement Fair on Saturday.
"It's hard to find jobs. When I fill out applications, I don't know what to put, what not to put. It's just a very big obstacle that sucks," Amanda Weliever said.
It's been six years since Weliever was charged with a crime. She's done her time, paid her debt to society and is ready to start the net chapter of her life.
At the event, people were able to meet with lawyers and learn about the process of clearing their records. This isn't the first fair the Office of Public Health and Safety (OPHS) has held, but it's the biggest.
"It shows us that there's a large need, especially in Marion County, for expungements. Expunging a record a be something as little as taking a candy bar when you were younger, or driving home drunk from the bars in your twenties," OPHS' re-entry programs manager, Josiah Johnson, said.
FBI records indicate that nearly 1 in 3 American adults has a criminal record. Having a record can make it harder to get a job or find housing. OPHS hopes expungement will help.
"The individual can get a higher paying job, which contributes to taxes, which contributes back to society. If we can help these individuals in one way, then it helps everyone in the end," Johnson said.
Under Indiana law, most misdemeanors can be expunged after five years and felonies after eight years. But there are exceptions and it's a complicated, detailed process. Lawyers with the Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic were on hand to help everyone get started.
For Weliever, the day offers hope for her four-year-old daughter, Maddy.
"I've had a whole kid since then. I'm not the same person. I made a very bad mistake, and that's not who I am today, and I'm sure that's how everyone feels. People grow," she said.
Anyone who missed Saturday's event can still get free expungement assistance from the Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic. They offer walk-ins on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9-4 at their office at 151 N. Delaware St., or by appointment.
-
Lacrosse player charged with battery after incident at Carmel High School
A Michigan man is facing a felony battery charge after Carmel police say he punched a high school lacrosse player after a game.
90 workers in Indianapolis face layoffs as CICOA loses government funding
CICOA Aging & In-Home solutions is planning to lay off 90 Indianapolis workers due to a loss of government funding.
IMS Museum breaks ground on new Restoration and Event Center
The IMS museum's new Restoration and Event Center is now under construction, where skilled team members will work to preserve cars from previous Indianapolis 500 races.
Fishers police recover more than 200 pounds of marijuana in I-69 traffic stop
Hamilton County prosecutors have filed drug charges against two men who were reportedly caught with hundreds of pounds of marijuana and thousands of THC cartridges in their car.