INDIANAPOLIS — A homeless camp on the south side of Indianapolis is now gone.
Remnants of the camp, formerly located near Interstate-65 and Raymond Street, were removed Wednesday upon orders from the Indiana Department of Transportation.
Many people were living there until recently.
MORE | Point-in-Time homeless count happening all week
At the beginning of January, INDOT posted a notice that stated people needed to leave the area and remove their belongings.
And on Wednesday, all the items left there were cleared away.
Concerned resident Ron Rodgers told WRTV the city and state should be doing more to help its homeless populations.
MORE | Bill banning transgender girls from playing school sports in Indiana passes Senate committee
"I'd like to see people get housing and get jobs and valuable transportation that they need so they can keep their jobs," Rodgers said. "This is not a long-term solution; it's a short-term solution causing many more problems."
Rodgers also said people experiencing homelessness also need access to healthcare, noting some at another camp needed to be taken to a hospital because they had not seen a doctor.
As for the people who had been living at this homeless camp, IMPD says its homeless outreach unit has provided services and resources to those residents.
-
Brownsburg builds momentum on and off the field ahead of State Championship run
The Bulldogs are riding a wave of momentum both on the field and across the community as they prepare for their second straight trip to the State Football Championship.
U.S. 31 reopened in Hamilton County
The southbound lane of U.S. 31 is closed at 236th Street in Hamilton County due to an active criminal investigation, according to the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office.
Citizens Energy outlines plan to supply Lebanon from Indianapolis water sources
Citizens Energy Group has plans to pull more water from the Eagle Creek Reservoir to supply the LEAP district and the city of Lebanon.
Indianapolis couple charged with neglect after death of 1-year-old son
The Marion County Prosecutor's Office arrested an Indianapolis mother and father for neglect after the death of their one-year-old son, Angel.