INDIANAPOLIS — Shortridge High School in Indianapolis went on lockdown Tuesday after a student with a handgun was found on campus.
Dennis Thomas, the school's principal, told parents in an email the school was on lockdown for 50 minutes and it was later downgraded to a strong hold, which means the movement of students and staff is controlled and limited.
Thomas said the situation is being handled by the school's policy and reminded them weapons aren't allowed at school.
No injuries were reported during the incident, and the student involved was arrested, said Marc Ransford, a spokesperson for the district.
"The safety and security procedures that IPS has in place, including secured and locked doors and police officers in our high schools worked to keep both students and staff safe during today’s incident. The gun was found on the student who was under the supervision of IPS Police officers," Ransford said in an email to WRTV.
Additional details about the situation haven't been released by the high school or the Indianapolis Public Schools Police Department.

"Parents, you are the most effective resource we have for helping children remain safe at school," Ransford wrote. "Those resources include strong two-way communication; reporting any threat of harm toward students, to the school, law enforcement, or both; and using safety protocols to create an environment that reassures our students that they are safe to learn."
-
Two Indiana cities top U.S. News rankings for best places to live
Two central Indiana cities have claimed the top spots on U.S. News & World Report's 2026-2027 rankings of the best places to live in America.
4 women arrested after fight at Fishers Qdoba injures pregnant woman
An argument over an ex-boyfriend at a Fishers restaurant over the weekend ended with a pregnant woman injured and four others under arrest.
Caitlin Clark to serve as grand marshal of 110th Indianapolis 500
Caitlin Clark will serve as grand marshal of the 110th Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, where she will command drivers to report to their cars before the race.
Rossi still hoping to compete in Indy 500 after crash leads to hand surgery
Alexander Rossi had surgery to repair minor injuries to his left hand Monday night following a crash earlier in the day during practice for the Indianapolis 500, his team announced.