INDIANAPOLIS — Children ages 5-11 are now eligible for a booster dose of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine in Indiana.
This comes after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention authorized the booster shot this week.
The Indiana Department of Health told vaccine providers they can start administering the booster dose to children in the age group at least five months after their last dose.
Dr. Christopher Belcher, Infection Prevention Medical Director at Ascension St. Vincent, says the CDC authorization is going to make an impact.
"Children still do get COVID; it does affect their lives. In some cases it can be that it just makes them sick and miserable, but there are complications from COVID ... and there are still problems with post COVID," Belcher said.
Belcher says COVID is still out in the community and very easy to catch. He's encouraging people to go ahead and get a booster.
MORE: Full coronavirus coverage from WRTV
"A lot of the pediatric offices do have the vaccine it in stock. It's also a good time to make sure your kid is up to date on all of the other vaccines. During the lockdown time. a lot of kids missed visits and are behind on their vaccines," Belcher said.
To schedule an appointment to get the booster dose or find a vaccination site, you can visit ourshot.in.gov or call 211.
WRTV reporter Rachael Wilkerson contributed to this report.
-
Hoosier the Bison will make first appearance at IU football season opener
Saturday marks the start of a new IU football season. It also marks the return of the school’s mascot, Hoosier the Bison.Southern Indiana city must permit Pride Festival after federal court decision
The Loogootee PrideFest will return to the city's Public Square on September 6, 2025 after a federal court ruled the city's special events ordinance unconstitutional.Indianapolis man charged in 2-year-old's shooting death
A 23-year-old man has been arrested in Chicago for his alleged role in the death of a 2-year-old Indianapolis girl this summer.IMPD: Sexual assault suspect caught after Monon Trail attacks
Indianapolis police have arrested a 27-year-old man in connection with two sexual assault attacks on the Monon Trail earlier this month.