The Ohio Department of Health has confirmed the first probable case of monkeypox in the state, ODH Director Bruce Vanderhoff said on Monday.
According to the health department, an adult male has a probable case of the disease, and is awaiting a PCR confirmation from the CDC.
“I want to emphasize strongly at the outset that monkeypox does not spread easily between people,” said Vanderhoff. “This disease is not like COVID-19, which, as we know, can be spread easily from person to person through the air over several feet in space. In contrast, monkeypox spreads between people primarily through direct contact with infectious sources such as scabs or body fluids.”
The person with the case remains isolated and is following protocols suggested by their healthcare providers and public health administrators to protect the resident's privacy, Vanderhoff said.
ODH says anyone experiencing an “unexplained” rash should contact a health provider immediately. Monkeypox is a viral illness, which starts with flu-like symptoms.
There are 49 confirmed cases in the United States across 15 states, most of which have occurred among men who have sex with men, Vanderhoff said. However, he added, “it’s important to note that anyone can get monkeypox."
There are nearly 1,500 cases confirmed worldwide with no deaths reported in 30 different countries.
RELATED: Officials find 2 monkeypox strains in US
Watch a portion of the news conference below.
-
Two Indiana cities top U.S. News rankings for best places to live
Two central Indiana cities have claimed the top spots on U.S. News & World Report's 2026-2027 rankings of the best places to live in America.
4 women arrested after fight at Fishers Qdoba injures pregnant woman
An argument over an ex-boyfriend at a Fishers restaurant over the weekend ended with a pregnant woman injured and four others under arrest.
Caitlin Clark to serve as grand marshal of 110th Indianapolis 500
Caitlin Clark will serve as grand marshal of the 110th Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, where she will command drivers to report to their cars before the race.
Rossi still hoping to compete in Indy 500 after crash leads to hand surgery
Alexander Rossi had surgery to repair minor injuries to his left hand Monday night following a crash earlier in the day during practice for the Indianapolis 500, his team announced.