STURGEON BAY, Wis. — The former president of Franklin College pleaded no contest to child sex crime charges in a Wisconsin Court Thursday.
Thomas Minar, 58, was fired by the college in January 2020 after he was arrested on suspicion of the crimes.
Wisconsin court records show Minar pleaded no contest to one count of child enticement and three counts of possession of child pornography, all class D felonies.
Prosecutors in Door County, Wis. said Minar was arrested while trying to meet a teenager after a sexually explicit chat through an online dating site.
According to court documents, Minar was allegedly using a cell phone app called "Grindr," which is a platform "commonly used by gay males to meet other males to meet up for sexual encounters," when he began contacting a person he thought was a 15-year-old boy. The person was actually an undercover police officer.
After being arrested at a local McDonald's after making plans to meet, Minar reportedly told officers he was attracted to young males but that the sexually-explicit chat was only "fantasy chat."
Minar had been president of Franklin College for five years and had previously announced plans to leave the school at the end of the academic year ending in 2020.
Court records show Minar is scheduled to be sentenced on June 6.
-
Police dog aids IMPD in capture of suspect shortly after bank robbery
A male was captured following a Wednesday afternoon bank robbery and police chase on the northeast side of Indianapolis, authorities said.
IndyCar drivers thrilled by early sellout of Indy 500
This year’s sellout came a week earlier than last year, and several IndyCar drivers expressed their excitement about fans’ eagerness to watch the “Greatest Spectacle in Racing.”Lacrosse player charged with battery after incident at Carmel High School
A Michigan man is facing a felony battery charge after Carmel police say he punched a high school lacrosse player after a game.
90 workers in Indianapolis face layoffs as CICOA loses government funding
CICOA Aging & In-Home solutions is planning to lay off 90 Indianapolis workers due to a loss of government funding.