INDIANAPOLIS — A man has been arrested after fire officials say he intentionally set a fire where a firefighter was injured.
Firefighters with the Indianapolis Fire Department responded to the home near Massachusetts and Rural avenues around 3:50 p.m. on Feb. 6 for a working residence fire. Heavy smoke was visible from the vacant residence when crews arrived and they were able to get the fire under control in 20 minutes, according to IFD.
#IFD #OnScene Massachusetts Ave & Rural St. pic.twitter.com/NUFTtBUbHG
— Indianapolis Fire Department 🚒 (@IFD_NEWS) February 6, 2023
While battling the blaze, one firefighter sustained what was noted as a "slight" injury at the time.
In a press release issued Wednesday, IFD said the firefighter was transported to Eskenazi Hospital after complaining of a slight heat related injury. While in the ER, the firefighter's condition worsened and doctors had him placed in a medically induced coma. He remained in the coma for 48 hours.
IFD says the firefighter, whose name has not been released, was showing significant improvement on Wednesday afternoon and is expected to be released in the next couple of days.
On Thursday, IFD said the 26-year veteran of the IFD is now at home recuperating, but it unclear when he will be released to return to work.
During the course of their investigation IFD and IMPD Fire Investigators determined that the fire had been intentionally set. They arrested a suspect in that fire on Wednesday.
The suspect's identity has not been released.
The fire remains under investigation by IFD and IMPD Fire Investigators.
#IFD #Views Massachusetts Ave & Rural St. pic.twitter.com/Teu2H8PIEk
— Indianapolis Fire Department 🚒 (@IFD_NEWS) February 6, 2023
-
American Red Cross opens new donation centers in Indianapolis and Noblesville
The American Red Cross urges eligible donors to give blood and platelets this month at new donation centers in Indianapolis and Noblesville.
HandleBar Hot Lap returns to Monument Circle
Pedal Pubs took over Monument Circle Tuesday morning for the annual HandleBar Hot Lap. The event is a single-elimination tournament featuring 23 teams from downtown Indianapolis businesses.
National Guard: First members of new military police force ready for deployment
Indiana State Police Superintendent Anthony Scott on Tuesday said the first 40 National Guard personnel had completed the training, and a second group of 40 will begin their training in July.
Speedway businesses prepare for Indy 500
Businesses in the Marion County town of Speedway on Tuesday were ramping up operations as they prepared for the arrival of hundreds of thousands of fans for the Indianapolis 500.