INDIANAPOLIS — The Marion County Sheriff's Office continued Operation Watchful Eye on Wednesday with a sex offender sweep in Pike Township on the northwest side of Indianapolis.
The sweep resulted in 17 compliancy checks, three warrant service attempts, two warrant arrests for failure to register and a new investigation was opened for failure to register, according to the sheriff's office.
Last week, the sheriff's office started Operation Watchful Eye to check on the more than 1,800 sexual and or violent offenders in the county. The office focused its efforts last week near Brookside Park.
When WRTV spoke with the Marion County Sheriff Kerry Forestal last week, he said they were going to continue the operation this week.
There are currently 1,825 sexual or violent offenders living in Marion County, 52% of which were convicted and sentenced from another state or another county, according to the sheriff's office. That figure is up from 42% a year ago.
Forestal said he believes part of the reason is because of the number of residents in Marion County.
"It's easier to hide here. If you live in Tipton they're going to know you. If you come and mix among 900,000 to one million people you may not," Forestal said.
He also says he believes there are too many programs conveniently located by the State government within Marion County saying they can use the bus lines.
Marion County residents can search for registered sex offenders living in their neighborhoods on the sheriff's office's website.
WRTV Senior Digital Content Producer Andrew Smith assisted with this report.
-
Jim Irsay continued battling addiction relapses prior to death, report says
Former Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay continued to suffer setbacks from a longtime addiction to painkillers prior to his death in May, the Washington Post reported Thursday.Hoosier the Bison will make first appearance at IU football season opener
Saturday marks the start of a new IU football season. It also marks the return of the school’s mascot, Hoosier the Bison.Southern Indiana city must permit Pride Festival after federal court decision
The Loogootee PrideFest will return to the city's Public Square on September 6, 2025 after a federal court ruled the city's special events ordinance unconstitutional.Indianapolis man charged in 2-year-old's shooting death
A 23-year-old man has been arrested in Chicago for his alleged role in the death of a 2-year-old Indianapolis girl this summer.