INDIANAPOLIS — A homeless camp on the south side of Indianapolis is now gone.
Remnants of the camp, formerly located near Interstate-65 and Raymond Street, were removed Wednesday upon orders from the Indiana Department of Transportation.
Many people were living there until recently.
MORE | Point-in-Time homeless count happening all week
At the beginning of January, INDOT posted a notice that stated people needed to leave the area and remove their belongings.
And on Wednesday, all the items left there were cleared away.
Concerned resident Ron Rodgers told WRTV the city and state should be doing more to help its homeless populations.
MORE | Bill banning transgender girls from playing school sports in Indiana passes Senate committee
"I'd like to see people get housing and get jobs and valuable transportation that they need so they can keep their jobs," Rodgers said. "This is not a long-term solution; it's a short-term solution causing many more problems."
Rodgers also said people experiencing homelessness also need access to healthcare, noting some at another camp needed to be taken to a hospital because they had not seen a doctor.
As for the people who had been living at this homeless camp, IMPD says its homeless outreach unit has provided services and resources to those residents.
-
ISP release identity of man killed in officer-involved shooting in Franklin
Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department is on the scene of an officer-involved shooting in Franklin.Indiana Legislature to reconvene in December for redistricting discussions
The Indiana House returns Dec. 1 and the Senate Dec. 8 as the legislature reconvenes to consider a proposal to redraw the state’s congressional map.
Amazon announces $15 billion investment in Northern Indiana data centers
Amazon plans to invest an additional $15 billion in Northern Indiana to build data center campuses, the company announced, adding to its existing $11 billion commitment in St. Joseph County.
Mother of 2-year-old found shot to death inside south Indianapolis home
Police are investigating after a 26-year-old woman was found shot to death inside a residence on the city's south side late Monday night.