NEW YORK (AP) — You'll no longer be able to store your precious coins, jewelry and paperwork at JPMorgan Chase & Co., as the bank has stopped opening new safety deposit boxes for customers.
A spokesman for the bank said Chase decided late last year to stop offering new deposit boxes to customers as a “business decision” but declined to share specifics. Customers who have a box with Chase will be able to keep the box as long as the branch stays open, but they will not be able to open a new one at another location.
Banks long stopped opening up cavernous branches with dozens of teller windows and a vault the size of a one-bedroom apartment. Reflecting the fact that customers may not enter a bank branch for months at a time, most branches are now designed to be small, with multiple ATMs, as well as breakout spaces so bankers can one-on-one interactions with customers when needed. Chase's newest branches have not vaults for some time.
Safety deposit boxes were never a highly profitable business for banks, often offered as an additional service to their most valued customers. The vaults themselves are expensive to install and pose 24/7 security risks due to the valuables that were often stored inside, requiring bank employees to get specialized training to handle vault requests. Meanwhile, customers typically rent a box at a branch for $45-$150 a year, depending on size.
The news was first reported by Bloomberg News.
-
Comfortable Thursday, rain chances return for the weekend
Nice weather continues into Thursday. A big warm-up looms for the weekend with a few rain chances. A warm front lifts into Indiana on Saturday.
Police dog aids IMPD in capture of suspect shortly after bank robbery
A male was captured following a Wednesday afternoon bank robbery and police chase on the northeast side of Indianapolis, authorities said.
IndyCar drivers thrilled by early sellout of Indy 500
This year’s sellout came a week earlier than last year, and several IndyCar drivers expressed their excitement about fans’ eagerness to watch the “Greatest Spectacle in Racing.”Lacrosse player charged with battery after incident at Carmel High School
A Michigan man is facing a felony battery charge after Carmel police say he punched a high school lacrosse player after a game.