WASHINGTON — A special counsel overseeing probes regarding former President Donald Trump are giving former vice president Mike Pence a subpoena, multiple sources tell ABC News.
ABC reports the subpoena follows months of negotiations between federal prosecutors and Pence's legal team.
Last month, Pence's attorney said documents with classified markings were discovered in Pence's Carmel home.
RELATED: Pence: 'Mistakes were made' in classified records handling
It is unknown what information the subpoena is seeking.
Jack Smith, who was named special counsel in November by Attorney General Merrick Garland, has been tasked with overseeing investigations into Trump’s attempts to subvert his defeat, his actions leading up to the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol and his possession of top-secret government documents at his Florida estate, Mar-a-Lago.
Federal prosecutors have been especially focused on a scheme by Trump allies to elevate fake presidential electors in key battleground states won by Biden as a way to subvert the vote, issuing subpoenas to multiple state Republican party chairs.
Federal prosecutors have brought multiple Trump administration officials before the grand jury for questioning, including former Trump White House counsel Pat Cipollone and Pence’s own former chief of staff, Marc Short.
In a sign of the expanding nature of the investigation, election officials in multiple states whose results were disputed by Trump have received subpoenas asking for communications with or involving Trump and his campaign aides.
A House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack recommended that the Justice Department bring criminal charges against Trump and associates who helped him launch a pressure campaign to try to overturn his 2020 election loss.
A spokesperson for Pence did not respond to a request for comment by ABC News. The special counsel's office also declined to comment.
A spokesperson for Trump also did not immediately respond.
-
Former Purdue wide receiver, NFL player Rondale Moore dies at 25
Rondale Moore, the former Purdue University wide receiver who played most recently for the Minnesota Vikings, was found dead Saturday night in Albany, Indiana, authorities said. He was 25.
IMPD investigating officer-involved shooting on far east side; four in custody
Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officers are currently investigating an officer-involved shooting on Indy's east side Saturday evening.
Hancock County to receive $13M in federal funds for road safety, bridge upgrades
The Indiana Department of Transportation announced nearly $180 million in federal funding for infrastructure projects across Indiana, with Hancock County receiving a significant portion of that money.
Indianapolis neighbors take the Polar Plunge for Special Olympics Indiana
Over $600,000 has been raised so far this year for Special Olympics Indiana through its Polar Plunge events. Participants braved the cold waters at Geist Saturday morning.