INDIANAPOLIS — A man has died after becoming stuck inside a home on fire Thursday in the Far Eastside area, an official said.
The 64-year-old man needed to be removed from the building by firefighters and was later transported to a local hospital, according to Indianapolis Fire Department Battalion Chief Rita Reith.
Crews were dispatched about 11:49 p.m. to the home, which is in the 3600 block of North Wittfield Street. That's in the Northeastwood neighborhood near 38th Street and North Post Road.
Calls indicated there was someone inside the home. There were also reports of a "boom" heard, Reith said.
Once at the scene, responders saw heavy smoke and flames and began extinguishing the blaze.
Reith said the man was removed from the home within 15 minutes of crews arriving. The flames were put out within about 20 minutes.
The man was identified by the Marion County Coroner's Office as Willie Harris, 64.
Investigators determined the fire began by unattended cooking on a stove in the house. It is unclear if there were working smoke alarms inside the home.
Here's where you can find a Lenten fish fry in central IndianaFor anyone who refrains from eating meat during Lent, or for those who are just fish fans, this list is for you.
Input needed for community wide plan to improve animal welfare in Marion CountyMarion County residents are invited to participate in a survey to share insights and inform the direction and priorities of a new plan for animal welfare.
Indy All-Star 2024 breaks record: highest attended in 14 yearsAccording to the Indiana Pacers, it was the highest attended All-Star game in 14 years, with over 190,000 fans in attendance.
Indiana Department of Health reports first measles case in 5 yearsThe IDOH confirmed a case of measles in a Lake County resident, which is the first reported case since 2019.