INDIANAPOLIS — Staff and patients at IU Health Methodist Hospital will continue to get help from a U.S. Navy team for the next month.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, approved a 30 day extension of the 20 person team's deployment last week.
"As COVID-19 cases continue to increase and hospitalization of COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 patients progress to all-time highs, Indiana University Health is pursuing and leveraging all available resources to support patient care and its team members," IU Health said in a statement to WRTV. "IU Health is grateful for this support in this effort to care for the people of Indiana."
The team is made of physicians, nurses and respiratory professionals who are working in medical units and the emergency department at the hospital. They arrived just before Christmas on Dec. 22.
On Tuesday, an IU Health spokesperson told WRTV there are 638 confirmed COVID-19 cases system-wide. At Methodist, the hospital is treating 177 people with the virus.
Last week, WRTV talked to some team members about their experience treating COVID-19 patients. You can hear their stories here.
BREAKING: IU Health tells me a 30-day extension of the 20-person U.S. Navy team currently deployed at Methodist was approved by FEMA last week.
— Nikki DeMentri (@nikkidementri) January 18, 2022
Full statement below. @wrtv pic.twitter.com/pVKj8lfroW
-
Officer fires at Connersville burglary suspect; no serious injuries reported
Indiana State Police are investigating after a Connersville police officer fired at a burglary suspect on Thursday.
Diego Morales ‘confident’ he will be renominated after endorsements pulled
U.S. Sen. Jim Banks and Attorney General Todd Rokita have withdrawn their endorsements of Indiana Secretary of State Diego Morales ahead of the November election.
Teen suspects held clerk at gunpoint for chips, vapes during robbery, IMPD says
Three teen suspects were taken into custody early Saturday morning following a string of robberies on Indy’s east side, according to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.
Carmel man accused of using fake sheriff's badge to enter IMS
A Carmel man was arrested after allegedly using a fake Marion County Sheriff's badge to get into the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on two occasions during busy race season.