ANDERSON — A 12-year-old boy was injured in a shooting that started as a dispute between him and an older family member Tuesday, police said.
The suspect, a 15-year-old boy, shot the victim during a fight, said Anderson Police Department Public Information Officer Caleb McKnight.
Police first responded for what was reported as a fight in progress about 11 p.m. in the 1700 block of Jackson Street.
MORE | One dead, one injured in shooting near 34th and Keystone in Indianapolis
Officers were notified before they arrived that gunshots were fired and that a family member was transporting the victim to a local hospital.
They later made contact with the victim at the hospital and discovered he had been shot by the 15-year-old family member, McKnight said.
The victim was in stable condition at that time.
MORE | 1 killed, another injured Carmel homicide; suspect in police custody
The Department's Criminal Investigations Division was called to investigate.
Additional information was not immediately available.
This is a developing story.
-
One of America's rarest historical documents now on display at IU
One of the original copies of the Declaration of Independence is now featured in a new exhibition at IU, celebrating 250 years since the signing of the original.
Food waste to fertile fields: Shelby County composting runs even during winter
Food waste is being turned into clean compost on an industrial scale in Shelby County, even through the middle of winter.
Indiana State Police cancel Blue Alert for Kenneth Johnson
Indiana State Police have issued a Blue Alert for Kenneth Johnson. Johnson is wanted for his involvement in the injury to a law enforcement officer.
Hundreds of Indiana students rally at Statehouse, push for action on bullying
Hundreds of Hoosier students filled the Indiana Statehouse on Monday, determined to make their voices heard on issues affecting young people, with bullying at the forefront for many of them.