INDIANAPOLIS — Three Dutch soldiers were shot early Saturday morning in downtown Indianapolis, according to the Netherlands Ministry of Defense.
In an online statement, the Netherlands Ministry of Defense said the men are from the Commando Corps and were in Indiana on exercise.
The men were training at Muscatatuk Urban Training Center, a premier training facility.
The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department responded to the shooting in the area of S. Meridian Street and W. Maryland Street just before 4 a.m.
The Ministry says the shooting took place in front of the hotel where the soldiers were staying and that the incident happened during the military's free time.
They decided to visit Indianapolis at the end of their duty day.
IMPD says all three victims are men. Two of the victims are in critical condition and the third is stable, police say.
In a 10:30 a.m. update, IMPD said according to preliminary information, a disturbance occurred between the victims and the suspect(s) before the shooting.
Detectives do not believe this was a random act and that there is no immediate threat to the area.
A spokesperson for the State Department has stated that they are in contact with the Dutch government on the matter. The full statement can be read below.
“We are aware of these reports and offer our condolences to the Dutch soldiers who were injured and their families. We are in contact with the Dutch government on this matter. As there is an ongoing investigation, we do not have any further comment and would refer you to local law enforcement.“
Anyone with information about this incident should contact Detective Michael Wright at the IMPD Homicide Office at 317.327.3475 or e-mail him at Michael.Wright@indy.gov.
This is the second triple shooting in downtown Indianapolis in the last week. On Sunday, August 21, one man died and two others were injured after a shooting in the 900 block of N. Delaware Street.
WRTV Real-Time Editor Michelle Kaufman and ABC News contributed to this report.
-
Court docs: Hailey Buzbee communicated with suspect for over a year
New court documents from the Franklin County Municipal Court in Columbus, Ohio, have been released in the death investigation of Fishers teen Hailey Buzbee.
Looking to buy a home in 2026? Why Zillow ranks Indianapolis as your best bet
A new report from Zillow ranked Indianapolis as the most buyer-friendly housing market in 2026, with real estate agents saying it's one of the best times for homebuyers to get into this market.
Father of Hailey Buzbee urges stronger online child protection laws
Beau Buzbee, the father of Hailey Buzbee, delivered an emotional plea to Indiana lawmakers Monday, urging them to pass legislation protecting children from online dangers.
Indianapolis apartment tenants victimized in $20K rent payment theft scheme
Dozens of tenants at two Indianapolis apartment complexes discovered their rent payments never reached their accounts after a former property manager allegedly stole more than $20,000 from residents.