INDIANAPOLIS — Indiana Task Force 1 is deploying a team of about 50 people as Hurricane Ian continues to move toward the U.S. coast.
The team was activated Tuesday morning and deployed around 10 a.m. to stage near Montgomery, Alabama. Three canines and nearly a dozen vehicles joined the team on the deployment.
Those deploying include 45 team members and six support personnel, according to a tweet from Indiana Task Force 1. They are prepared to help in technical, medical and rescue operations.
“Hurricane season here in the last 10 years has just been unbelievable. Last year was a little slower this year, it's kind of started out slow, but like I said, the federal government has, at least over the last several years, looked at pre-staging resources a lot closer than trying to send those from home when requested," Gerald George, Task Force Leader with Indiana Task Force 1, said.
Activated at 7:00 AM this morning & on the road by 10:00 AM Canines Nike, Orion and Guinness joined 48 members of #INTF1 on their deployment in support of Hurricane #Ian. The team is making their way to Alabama where they will stage and await further orders. @fema @NAT_USAR_NEWS pic.twitter.com/Xy71BGbC2Z
— Indiana Task Force 1 (@IN_Task_Force_1) September 27, 2022
“So it’s really our way as Hoosiers to go over and help whatever state we’re going to to help those individuals. Just a prayer and support for those individuals back here and for our families, as well," George said.
Members on this deployment come from more than a dozen police and fire departments including Carmel, Lafayette and Plainfield. There is no timetable on how long the team may be assisting. George said the team is always asked to be prepared for 10 to 14 days.
Hurricane Ian is expected to cause flooding and hurricane-force winds in parts of Cuba on Tuesday, according to the National Hurricane Center. It's expected to bring tropical storm conditions starting Tuesday to west-central Florida.
-
New IMPD chief addresses viral video, what's to come under her leadership
IMPD's new Chief of Police, Tanya Terry, met with City-County Councilors and the community at the Public Safety and Criminal Justice meeting on Wednesday night.
HSE educates parents about internet, social media safety in wake Buzbee case
Parents gathered at Hamilton Southeastern High School on Wednesday for a presentation called “Protecting Kids in the Digital Age” to learn how to protect their children from predators online.
Investigators ask for public assistance to identify a Fox Hollow murder victim
On Tuesday, the corner's office said that through forensic genealogy, investigators have been able to identify the victim's father as Jerome Clarence "Jerry" Harvey.
Family, friends and community honor Hailey Buzbee at celebration of life
Family and loved ones are preparing to pay their respects and honor 17-year-old Hailey Buzbee. A celebration of life has been planned for Thursday.